Empowering students to take the next step

MRHS Dual Credit Classes

Dual Credit classes are college classes for which students earn college and high school credit.

In other words, if a student takes (and passes) a college class while in high school, he or she will not have to repeat the class in college, and also receives credit toward high school graduation.

Monmouth-Roseville High School students take dual credit classes through Carl Sandburg College and/or Monmouth College. Because college classes are typically semester-long, a student can complete a full course in one semester. College semesters start in mid-August and mid-January. Students have to register for dual credit classes during the semester prior, in April (for classes during the fall semester) and October (for classes during the spring semester).

Students do not have to go to Carl Sandburg or Monmouth College after high school just because they took dual credit classes through them. Because they are college credits, they can (possibly) be transferred to most colleges and universities.

If interested in taking a dual credit class, students first should speak with their counselor.

Why should I take a dual credit class?

  • If you are pursuing a four-year degree after high school, that’s about 120 credit hours. That breaks down into 15 credit hours per semester. Most college classes are 3 credit hours, so that’s about 5 classes per semester in college. 5 college classes is a lot of work. Any classes you can get done ahead of time will help lighten your load down the road, so you can get involved, or get a job while in college.
  • Any exposure you can get to the world of college beforehand will help you make decisions down the road, and help you start getting ready for college coursework.
  • Last but not least, Carl Sandburg gives you a discount (1/2 off) for taking classes as a dual credit student!

How do high school students take a college class when they are in school all day?

  • MRHS offers THREE Carl Sandburg dual credit classes in-house, taught by MRHS teachers: Biology 101 (fall), Composition 101 (fall), Composition 102 (spring). Students take Biology 101 junior or senior year, and Composition 101 and 102 can replace English IV senior year.
  • Many students also take classes on the Monmouth College campus, and we accommodate their schedules so that they are able to do so.
  • The majority of students take Carl Sandburg dual credit classes online, and they never visit a classroom. In this case, we give the student one class period per day to work on their online class in the LMC. 

Things to consider before taking a dual credit class:

  • Am I ready for a college-level class?
    • To put it into perspective, college classes typically cram one year of high school work into one semester. They move very quickly through class material. If you’re having trouble keeping up with your current high school classes, maybe you aren’t ready to throw a college class into the mix. We don’t usually recommend students take dual credit classes before junior year.
  • Will this class go toward my future major in college?
    • Don’t take an “Intro to Business” class if you want to go into Education. Do your research. Look online at the universities to which you are thinking about applying senior year. See what classes they require for the major you’re interested in. Pick a class that will benefit you in the long run.
    • Not sure about a major? Not a problem. Every 4-year degree will require some combination of general education classes. Look at the college’s general education curriculum or available gen-ed courses. Does Monmouth College or Carl Sandburg have a course equivalent? General education classes will usually go toward any major.
  • Will this class transfer to my chosen college/university?
    • Universities get to decide which credits they accept and which they don’t. Don’t waste your money on a class that the University of Illinois (for example) won’t accept. Again, do your research. You can use www.transferology.com to see how classes transfer between schools. Make an account, add classes, and see where they will transfer.
    • Another great resource you can use to learn about transfer credits is Affordable College Online. They also provide resources on choosing the right college, and major. 
  • Can I afford this class?
    • College classes cost money; it’s called “tuition.” Find out how much a class is going to cost you before you dig yourself a financial hole. Tuition payment is usually due at the beginning of the semester. Carl Sandburg dual credit students typically get a 50% tuition scholarship for up to 6 credit hours (about 2 classes) per semester.
    • As of the 2016-17 school year, students can begin using Pell Grant funds to pay for dual credit classes! This means you need to complete the 2016-17 FAFSA if you would like to try and receive federal aid for dual credit. See our Financial Aid page for more information.


If you are ready to sign up for a college class, or need help picking one out, we will help you through the process.

Totally lost? That’s OKAY! That’s what we are here for. Come see your friendly counselors to discuss your dual credit options. 


Emily Adolphson-- eadolphson@mr238.org

Amanda Mendez-- amendez@mr238.org

High School Phone: 309-734-5118